Saturday, January 13, 2007

SCREEEEEEE!!!


Now I know where they get the sound effects for movie monsters or dinosaurs! Cutting metal!! The sounds of metal being cut is tense! Most of what we do can be done by non bladed machines. The metal is cut out by a plasma machine, then bent, folded and otherwise manipulated by various other machines that don't usually require cutting it down any further. Last week Kirby and I were hard at work when the worst nails across chalk board sound came from the back of the shop. The first thing I thought of was the T Rex running after Ellie, Malcolm and Robert on Jurassic Park. The part where he get's really close to the jeep and opens his mouth up really wide and roars at them. After a few minutes of images of a T-Rex tearing through the shop going through my head, it suddenly changed. In it's place was a gigantic drill going to town on some poor souls teeth. That made me cringe. For I had a dental appointment only a few days later (which by the way I got through with flying colours, and the terms root and canal never came up!!). So there I was trying to make duct with images of teeth, slobber, and a large drill going through my mind. I was glad when break came along and I could then stare down at my sugar coated muffin.... Survived my first night of class. Am taking basic math, which is rather mickey mouse. Apparently hilariously so, because there are to BOYS, in the class that decided giggling and whispering their way through the evening was the way to go. 11 people were signed up for the class, only 6 including myself showed up that evening. We're off to a great start! Oh and if they giggle next week, I'll be sure to bring some lego or army men and see if they want to play too!!! That or suggest they get a bigger bong, that way they'll be so far beyond giggling it won't disrupt class. Ohhhh Liz is getting tempermental! Well I'm not at the point of cursing and kicking unco-operative duct work around yet. I just get it done, place it on the pile where I won't see it for the rest of the day and occasionally glare in the general direction of that job. I do however do a little dance when one of my fingers get's too close to the hammer. The worst thing I find however is vibrations. I'm not sure if it's the metal causing vibrations, but when I hit the duct and the vibrations hit one of my nerves just right, it's worse than the funny bone!

Running off on a tangent now, taking Monday evening classes gives me the perfect opportunity to visit my dad. He teaches in the Tech wing and finishes up at 5, so we can have a nice sit down and catch up. I don't think I've seen him since early summer late spring. So hopefully we'll have a lot to talk about.


Ok you know Dusty. The cat of many talents. Well I've discovered that he apparently knows when we come home. My daughter told me yesterday that as soon as I start to open the door to the building we live in, he get's up from where ever he is and runs to meet me. I had actually been wondering how my daughter knew it was me, since she always seemed to be right there when I walked in. I guess Dusty is the reason behind that. She follows his que's. I had actually heard of that ability in dogs, but had never heard it about cats. I'm certainly glad that he has talents that serve him well, and that aren't disruptful to the homestead. There are some evil felines out in the world.

No comments: